Monday, February 20, 2017

Depression Confessions: Holidays Hurt Like Hell

I've wrapped gifts, done chores, and made cookies. I should be feeling proud of myself. Instead, I feel like nothing I'm doing is going to matter. I feel like I'm a  failure - like I should look for a bomb shelter and wait it out.

I'm wise enough to know this is anxiety brought on by the Holidays and nothing more. 
I'm fine. That is I'm not fine, I'm scared and sad, but that's ok, there is nothing to be scared of or sad over. It's just the time of year. 

Also. First Christmas without my cat.

Yes, I have 3 other cats, but none of them are Basil. They don't even try and interrupt me when I'm wrapping paper. They don't follow me into the bathroom to watch out for me while I'm doing my business, they don't meow when they see me coming. They love me in other ways but Basil was my cat. Christmas without him sucks. I didn't even put up the tree this year.

I'm going to do some self-soothing. Maybe take a nap because I can. Not worry about what I do or don't get done. Think of something to look forward too.

Love yourselves a little harder. Give yourselves slack. Things don't need to be perfect. And remember that bad feelings eventually pass.

Originally Posted on Facebook, December 22, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment