Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Word of the Day: Enough.

Enough.

Its a strange word.  It's like Stop.

As a depressed person it becomes a source of pain when paired it with other words like Good, Pretty, or Normal. Because Good Enough, Pretty Enough, and Normal Enough are words depend on a value rating and judgement, to the depressed person the answer is always no.



I notice I'm asking myself or thinking to myself, or hoping something (say thanksgiving dinner) will be good enough and its like an unfinished sentence.  I need more information.

Good enough for who?
Good enough for what?

What is supposed to happen when the elusive ENOUGH is achieved? Will there be a happy? Will I suddenly feel loved and accepted? Will I become Good/Pretty/Normal?  I can't say because Enough is not achievable.  And I don't think it should be.

I like being Good. If I get to good enough will I suddenly not have to be good anymore? Will I stop having to go through the effort because I'll just BE good?

Enough tells me that I'm not good right now.  Enough begs me to judge myself, or use my psychic powers to determine how others have judged me.  Enough is an Agent of Suck and Ive had enough of enough. So I'm going to stop using that word.

Because something happens when you remove the enough from those paired words. The questions then become: Am I Good? Am I Pretty? and Am I Normal? and those are answerable questions.

Good and pretty become even easier when you ask the opposite to answer.
Am I Good becomes Am I Bad? No? then I must be good. That was easy.
Am I Pretty becomes Am I Ugly? Yes. Really? I guess not. I'll take that as a No.  So Guess what? I'm pretty.
Am I Normal. No? Ha-Trick question. Am I Normal for ME? I'm I doing anything Abnormal? No. The I'm Normal.

Will thanksgiving dinner be Good?  Will it be bad? No then it will be good.

Take away the "enough"s in your life. Depression is exhausting as it is without trying to fulfill an achievable value like enough.    Let the "Not Bad"s be your new definitions of Good. And maybe you can find a little Happy in your Depression.

Sound of the Day: Coat Zippers.
Smell of the Day: Fresh Cut Celery



No comments:

Post a Comment