Thursday, October 29, 2015

Oct 29: Word of the Day DSP NOT ESP

Good morning,

So for Thursday's word of the day I'm using three words. Depressed Sensitivity Perception.

Why would I do this? Aren't there plenty of good words I haven't brought up yet? Inspired, Ambitious, Lovely, Creative to name a few? Whats the deal?

Ok,

So the thing is that as part of my depressive process I am "thin skinned" "too sensitive" and need to "lighten up."  If this sounds familiar it gets even better.  Remember that Show Lie to Me? if you missed it Netflix has it.

Ok, the show was based around micro expressions that people are not even aware they make. Turns out I can read body language like a BOSS.  It usually makes me a good guesser about people.

But when I'm depressed I take those same messages I'm getting about tone of voice and micro expressions and body language and internalize them. Then Depression whispers to me what you must be thinking.

It's always about me.
It's always bad.

The thing is,  I am not a mind reader. I don't have ESP.  I have regular sensory perception run through a depression filter. DSP.

Your micro frown, and resistant body language can mean you are wearing new shoes and they're tight, or you have sudden gas, or your worried about a pet or that new strange sound your car is making,  I don't know.  I'm not a mind reader.

When I remind myself that I have DSP and not ESP I also need to trust you to tell me when it is me.  Or I could ask.  But the thing I can't do is rely on my own depression filtered perception to guess correctly.

So DSP not ESP.

No comments:

Post a Comment